Benign Prostate Enlargement
What is a benign prostate enlargement?
In a benign prostate enlargement, tissue growth occurs in the area of the prostate surrounding the urethra. This leads to an increased resistance of urinary outflow from the urinary bladder , which in turn can lead to discomfort when urinating.
Which are the symptoms of benign prostate enlargement?
Benign enlargement of the prostate can cause a variety of symptoms such as hesitancy, weak stream of urine, urgency, or the feeling of incomplete bladder emptying. In addition, benign prostate enlargement can cause blood in the urine. Also, the so-called acute urinary retention, i.e. a sudden and painful inability to urinate is usually the result of benign prostate enlargement.
How is benign prostate enlargement treated?
The main focus of the treatment are the complaints of the individual patient. If the symptoms are not very bothering and the urological examination does not show any serious disorder of the urinary tract, conservative treatment with medication is possible. Nowadays, various treatment options are available that can be combined individually depending on the size of the prostate and symptoms.
If medication does not lead to an adequate relief of symptoms, or if, for example, a recurrent urinary retention occurs, surgery is required. Alta uro offers the entire spectrum of minimally invasive and innovative treatment options. The selection of the procedure based on the individual parameters and preferences of our patients.
- Bipolar TURP – the “classic” prostate resection, performed with state-of-the-art technology
- Greenlight laservaporization of the prostate – a particularly gentle and safe surgical procedure
- Aquablation – the first robotic surgical treatment for bening prostate enlargment. Ideally suited for patients who wish to maintain ejaculation after surgery.
- Rezum – a likewise minimally invasive procedure, which, unlike Urolift, works without implants
- Adenoma nucleation with the Da Vinci surgical robot – especially for patients with very large prostate